Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Almost Half of Bolivia has been Declared a Natural Disaster Area

read here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1134227.stm

look here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12594585



We could get into the politics of natural disasters and the intersection of climate change, environmental policy, poverty, and politics of exploitation and exclusion... but I'm at work, so perhaps now is not the time. Of course a multitude of massively interesting political developments have also been going on in Bolivia (and the entire Latin American region!) as per usual, so please check out my links or drop me a line to learn more. Or add more in the comments section!

Also interesting- they filmed this while I was in Cocha and the Chapare, and while I spent more time than is probably wise looking for friends-as-extras and streets-I'd-walked-down, I think the movie came out alright. It is perhaps a little to vague regarding what actually happened in the water wars, which could have really highlighted what a powerful fight and victory that moment was, but it avoiding being preachy, so I'll take it.

No comments: