Saturday, August 15, 2009

Endings


The beaches in Mexico are really about as fantastic as any cinematic fantasy might lead you to believe. You really can camp right on the sand, beside some small family´s home and makeshift restaurant, and wake up to spend the day in a hammock, next to the big blue ocean and a line of cold one dollar beers.


You can also wake up on that beach at four in the morning as a gale blows suddenly in, upsets your tent, soaks everything you own, drenches you, forces you to run up the beach under the roof of said family run restaurant, ditch everything you own, and sleep in the car.

Carlos and I both have colds.

But really all of Vera Cruz was lovely, from the beaches (Roca Partida, Monte Pio, and Barra de Sontecomapan, for those who might someday end up nearby) to the monkey filled lagoon, the jungle and the mountains. Carlos and I are always surprised to find ourselves driving over mountains. Going from over 100 degrees into a freezing mist is rather stunning.

Oaxaca is lovely, as is my mother. We have been wandering the city and are off to explore the nearby crafts towns, more ruins, and a famously large tree in the next few days. Tales and pictures to be posted later!

From here I head on and out, which feels strange, but for the best. I have said so many goodbyes in the last four years, they don´t really feel like goodbyes anymore. I have faith that strangeness and luck will bring me back south (still missing out on Chiapas) and back with these various companions once again, in some way, at some point. My flights from here to Nicaragua go in all the wrong directions, first north when I need to go south, then too far south, then back up north... I look forward to being done with planes for a while. Looking forward to being home in the states for a while as well, which will be happening in September. Rambling soon. Seriously, I have actual thoughts on some of the subjects I studied in regards to this place, to be posted later.
m

1 comment:

Sarah said...

hope you gals are enjoying Oaxaca, we sure loved it! Can't wait to hear more. sarah & jen