Friday, July 17, 2009

La Huasteca


Twenty minutes outside of Monterrey this sierra begins, and it stretches all the way to the South of Veracruz. In the northern areas it's pure desert and inhabited only by Huichol indians and hippies from Colorado. Seriously. We drove in one night with a Carlos's usual crew, arrived in the dark among a bunch of massive rocks, like those I imagine on mars, in order to lay around in the back of the pickup, listen to poprock, and look at stars. After a while this crazy music began, and we encountered a group (possibly Huichol, impossible to tell in the pitch blackness) playing guitars and pipes and drums and using those things you spin over your head to make sci fi noises. So we sat and played percussion on our knees until they wandered away. Things like this seem to happen to Carlos constantly. As hard as I tried to have some spiritual, natural, transcendent experience, mostly I think I just sat. After the musicians left, a hippie from Colorado crawled out of a rock to talk to us. He has been living in La Huasteca for over a year, except for a bit after he fell 100 feet off a cliff face and was deported after being hospitalized. He lives off rabbits. I feel very far from home.

4 comments:

Zoe B-P said...

I finally found the email with your blog address! (I realize that this comment is also a revelation that I'm a bad friend who lost the original email and therefore has not been following the blog until now. Sorry...)But now I'm all set - prepare yourself for lots of comments, especially on all the pretty pictures. I may even give you a spot in my "favorites" toolbar. No promises...

So this is just an intro comment, but I'm glad to see you're alive. I'm sending you lots of delicious food in my thoughts! Don't get helicoptered out the jungle - it'd be a waste of a ride because you'll probably be strapped to a gurney and therefore unable to appreciate the gorgeous view. And I think you'd certainly regret that.

Much love,
Z

Molly said...

Zoe. You have lured me into forgiveness with the promise of many comments. It is indeed too pretty to be strapped to a gurny. Also helicopters make me nervous. How is DC? When I am in DF I will put so many pretty pictures up for your viewing your favorites toolbar won´t even know what to do with itself. Love! xox

Zoe B-P said...

At the moment, DC is excellent. In terms of my future, I'm still doing shit, but hopefully the fall will bring an exciting, brutally unpaid internship? However, today I was applying to more internships, and for the first time, I noticed that the contact address I listed on my resume is half of my address in DC and half in Seattle. In other words, entirely useless. This is why I should proofread...

Alice (who you met in DC) and my friend Taylor both just got internships at the White House for the fall. Yeah, as in THE White House. It was a strange mix between feeling unbelievably happy and excited for them, and feeling totally inadequate in life. But see, at my current job I get free pizza and beer. And that's pretty much impossible to beat. I bet even Obama's jealous.

Alice and I are still going to hear Jazz in the National Art Gallery Sculpture Garden on Fridays. It's lovely. Still haven't really the heard the jazz, but the sangria is delicious and we get to stick our feet in the otherwise totally off-limits artsy fountain in the middle of the garden. I feel so cultured. Except that it means I'm also drunk by 6. Ah DC in the summer...

Molly said...

There is no way you can beat free pizza and beer. When can I come partake? Also jazz sangria and job hunting? The perfect summer. Did you know it's rather cold in Mexio City? I am experiencing slight shock.