Monday, January 18, 2010

(My) Latin American Imaginaries

So I´ve been trying to keep the idea of this whole time in Bolivia together as one analyzable and understandable ¨thing¨, which I suppose I´ve finally realized is impossible, since this time is really just more of the usual- me living my life. One point that irks me though, is the gap between the glorified (and in some ways, truly glorious) presidency, historical moment, and conflux of social movements in Bolvia vs the every day lived experience here. The more I read inspiring articles about Bolivia (here, and here, and here, and here, for starters) the more I wish I could feel swept up in or even just a part of it. ¨It¨ being something grand and life/world changing, of course. But on the daily level, lives don´t look very different to me. Of course, I´m not in the poorest sector, and I suppose that perhaps for the previously landless and the previously exploited, discriminated indigenous, a new era really is dawning. New political mechanisms may be forming, new dialogues between movements and populations and government may be beginning, but on the individual lived level it all seems pretty much the same. I don´t know what that means, if it means I´m asking too much of politics (like I tend to ask too much of everything), looking for a visual representation of something that will never be imbodied in the present, looking for a impact on the heart that´s much to broad and long term to show? But what I want is the energy in the air of a revolt, of a win, of, you know, a dawning. I admire what Marina Sitrin shares in Horizontalism because what happened in Argentina was a transformation of the heart, perhaps the only kind of change that can truly last. But then, who am I to say? Class and age and race all count against me, I know. Well. I realize this is a little personal for a public forum, but maybe we´ve just spent too much time dismissing sincerity as cheesy.

President Elect of Uruguay, José Mujica writes,

There is no fixed list of things that make us happy. Some think the ideal world is full of shopping centres. I’ve nothing against this vision, but I simply say that it isn’t the only one. I say we can imagine a country where people repair things instead of throwing them away, where they choose a small car instead of a large one, where they put on a sweater instead of turning up the heat.

I like the spirit of Latin America´s political community today. We get kids at Red Tinku from Brazil, Argentina, and Colombia, as well as the states, looking to teach or to sit in on our presentations and forums. I like the activity. But it´s easy to write long excited articles about Bolivia when you come in for the elections, or a big cultural event. I´m sick of reading scholarly leftist papers, news headlines, and NGO mission statements. Sick of getting excited and finding a reality that fails to correlate. I´ve been wanting to write seriously about Bolivia but I just cant bring myself to follow that same track. There´s a government agent watching our NGO everyday now. Reporting in on a walkie-talkie. And you have to wonder what´s to come if this kind of paranoia and anti-Americanism is on the rise here, if this is what´s in store. My host sister warned me away from Red Tinku, afraid that folks will perceive me as a spy rather than a helpless idealistic kid. Parents, I know you think I´m a cynic every time we talk about Obama, but maybe I just need to expand my cynicism to more of the world. And anyhow looking up North from the South it´s hard not to be upset. Look here. But I´m open to participating in the States in a way that seems positive. Here? Well anyhow. The point, so say the poets and the guerrillas of this long continent, is to walk. To walk and see what you find.

Al fin y al cabo, somos lo que hacemos para cambiar lo que somos.
-Eduardo Galeano

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Ay, pobrecita, te entiendo perfectamente. Tuve los mismos pensamientos cuando era una voluntaria con Cuerpo de Paz. Y de vuelta, despues de 25 anos con una democracia, el cambio es lento y se nota mas por la gente que ya tiene un poco en vez de ver mas con la pobreza. Podemos hablar unas horas sobre unas cervezas sobre esta tema. Hay que pensar en lo que puedas hacer por unos, no todos. Es como el trabajo de tu mama. Hay muchas veces que parece que no estas ayudando ningun chico, pero si uno o dos cambia por el mejor, vale la pena. Hay muchos NGOs que hacen buen trabajo, aunque el mundo es todavia chingado. PIH y Hesperian son dos que verdadamente ayuda la gente. Y me imagine que el trabajo tuya, tambien va a tocar la vida de algunos en maneras que no vas a ver imediamente. Fuerza chica. La vida no es tan sencilla, igual que el amor.

J. said...

Baby. Baby Baby Baby. So much to say and none of the words.

I don't know. You have an enormous amount of energy that you are putting into things that, of course, and you know this, on the personal level, they are the last to change. But it doesn't mean they won't.

I hate those articles, too, though. I hate when people talk about Uganda's "success" combating AIDS. Actually it makes me want to scream, endlessly. I probably shouldn't start talking about it. I'll get too angry.

I love you. It was so, so nice to finally have phones work. Xo.

Molly said...

Muchisimas gracias a ustedes dos para sus palabras tan wise y carin*osas. Ya se que tengo mucho para aprender... por suerte tengo esta oportunidad para empezar, no? Nos hablamos sobre una cervezas pronto. Besos