Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Setting out at last

I leave a week from today. At last I will be able to stop talking about, planning for, and stressing about this trip and just report back from the actual thing. Hurrah! Some of you have been requesting a more formal layout of my plans, which I would love to give you, if only I had any formal plans. That said, I do have a general idea/fantasy, and so I will go ahead and write it up. I should have a better idea by the end of July, at least as far as the location of my first six month job is concerned. That said:

July & August: Driving through Mexico with my friend Carlos, starting where he lives in Monterrey.
September through February: Working in Brazil for the World Health Organization/PAHO or working in Bolivia for the Foundation for Sustainable Development
March: Depends on the former part of the trip, but if I end up starting in Bolivia (which seems likely) probably exploring Chile and then visiting old friends in Argentina
April: Autonomous anarchist tour of Uruguay, courtesy of a friend there, surf punk time on the beach with another old friend, explore Uruguay
May: A month in Brazil, including an anarchist activist tour of Brasilia, strangest of cities 
June: Peru, hopefully meeting with some female sex worker unions and assisting in some clinical trials related to sexual health throughout the country
July & August... unclear, possibly more time in Peru, up into Ecuador, possible trip with my mother, possibly flying up to Nicaragua to see my host family, if my money permits
September through February: Working for PAHO in Brazil (Or FSD in Bolivia... whichever I haven't done, clearly)
March: If funds and presidential decisions are in my favor, a couple of weeks in Cuba before heading back home via New York. 

Who knows how much of that will actually end up happening, as I figure most plans will shift as I meet folks and find new possibilities for work, activism, and travel. But think about where you want to come visit and we can certainly make it happen. Don't forget to write (though your addresses are scattered in any number of cities and rooms at this point, so please resend them if you want postcards!)

Hasta la victoria siempre...

m

No comments: